I’m actually not feeling very well today, Wednesday, November 12, 2014.
As usual, I have pushed off writing my blog entry for Thursday (tomorrow) until it is so late that I should be headed to bed (especially as I have an opening shift in the morning). And did I mention that I am sick? Minneapolis’ sudden jump into mid-winter has left me with a bad enough cold that I’ve lost my voice. I’m achy and, last night, tweeted that I wanted my mommy (which is a true, if a silly admission).
Therefore, today’s post is “Choose Your Own Jenion”. I’ve given you links, below, along with brief descriptors of what you’ll find at each link. Simply click on the link(s) that piques your interest. (If none of the links interests you, then you’re almost finished reading my blather for this week!)
Think of this as my first foray into “choose your own adventure” blogging! And, in case I haven’t said this as often as I should, thank you so much for continuing to follow me on this meandering path!
- #dailypicofmpls : For those of you who don’t follow me on Instagram, this link takes you to my instagram site. The #dailypicofmpls hashtag was born on September 3, 2013 as a project to keep me productive and creative while trying to find my place in Minneapolis as a new resident. The winter of 2013-14 was brutal, and I’m not just talking the weather – it was perhaps the hardest season of my life to date. To say that my Instagram project, born of a desire to become intimately acquainted with my new city, may have saved my life in the depths of that winter is in no way an exaggeration. It kept me interested, active, and braving the outdoors throughout the worst winter could throw my way – and it helped me to fall deeply in love with this city I now call home. When I browse through the pictures, I remember virtually every moment. Photographically, there is a huge variation in quality. But even the worst of these photos is meaningful to me. I hope you enjoy clicking through them – if you’re curious to know more about any of them, just ask!
- Stealing Joy In addition to this blog, I have written several pieces for the MSP Biking blog. Stealing Joy is my bike-love story. If you enjoy this piece – which involves thievery, weight-loss, and rediscovery – feel free to browse the site for my other pieces (on my first alley-cat race and on the ways I’ve changed as a cyclist in my first year in the Twin Cities).
- Soul-Restoring Soup A few years ago, I made this apple-parsnip soup during a howling rampage of an ice storm. I trudged through snow drifts and up treacherously slippery sidewalks in the dark of night to leave some on my friend Layne’s doorstep: it was so good, I just had to share it with someone I loved! So, here’s the recipe – just in time for another winter’s worth of dark, cold nights!
- Say Voldemort OR Don’t Rain on My Parade These are both classic posts from the first year of Jenion. I didn’t select them after careful consideration of all the posts, but they are both pieces I remember well from a time when I was learning many profound lessons on managing a reawakening emotional life!
- Bad Faith And lest you think there is nothing new or original in today’s post, I give you this fragment. Written for my Rider Writers’ Group, on this month’s assigned theme of “bad”, this is the beginning of a longer personal essay. It is also a first draft with lots of issues to be resolved.
So, there you have it – a smorgasbord of Jenion from which to choose. I’ll be back next Thursday, hopefully well and with an all new post. At least…that’s the plan!