This week’s hunger relief organization is a local, Eastern Iowa, agency named HACAP (Hawkeye Area Community Action Program. Their tag line: “A help up, not a hand out.” HACAP is a member of the Feeding America network of food programs. I’ve copied, below, some of the accomplishments of their food resevoir program. They can be found at http://www.hacap.org. HACAP’s programs make a real difference throughout this community.
The Food Reservoir Program:
- Distributes approximately 1.4 million pounds of food to local organizations;
- Provides over 5,000 food boxes a year for families in need;
- Serves as a food distributor for Holiday Assistance Programs, which help over 2,800 families annually
- Operates the HACAP Adopt-a-Family Program that links over 300 families with individuals and organizations wishing to donate food and gifts to needy families; and
- Saves the 103 partner agencies over $2,000,000 in food costs, based on wholesale costs, thereby allowing them to spend those funds on other program activities and services.